Sustainability is one of the key challenges of our time, and we can all do our part to look after the environment. The UCSA's been on a journey to reduce its environmental impact by doing the following.
- The building’s carpet is made from recycled fishing nets and exterior cladding consists of composite recycled plastic and wood composite.
- Haere-roa is heated with renewable energy in the form of a ground-source heat-pump system. These pumps draw stable, latent heat from the ground through the building.
Montana Early Learning Centre
- Montana has solar panels installed, which improves their energy efficiency.
Food and beverage
- Our UCSA outlets are phasing out plastic straws.
- We offer financial incentives to BYO coffee cups and food containers at UCSA outlets. Foundry Feed is one example. We've also introduced cup libraries in conjunction with UC Sustainability.
- We've introduced compostable cutlery and packaging at UCSA eateries.
- We support fair trade by working with coffee supplier Common Good Coffee.
Major entertainment events
- We're working with Total Waste to sort our waste on site into its different streams.
- We serve food and drinks in compostable, recyclable or reusable containers.
- Our bars use cans or rented Globelets. The Globelets are borrowed and then sent back to be washed and reused at other events.
- When serving water, we use either Globlets or drinking-fountain-style water trailers that do away with the need for cups.
- We're working with UC Sustainability and Eco Volunteers along with other community groups to help educate event-goers on the day and keep the site clean and sorted.
- We do a community clean up around the area to grab anything that students have dropped along the way.
- We use eco-friendly products in our cleaning processes.
- We've promoted bamboo toothbrushes at Wellness Days.
- Electronic board papers are used for UCSA board meetings, reducing reliance on paper and fossil fuels used in delivery.
- We supported students taking part in the UC Climate Strike, 27 September 2019.
- We operate a borrow-a-bike scheme, enabling students to use a more environmentally friendly mode of transport.