Sustainability is one of the key challenges of our time, and we can all do our part to look after the environment. That's why the UCSA's been on a journey to reduce our environmental impact.
- The building’s carpet is made from recycled fishing nets and exterior cladding consists of composite recycled plastic and wood composite.
- Haere-roa is heated with renewable energy in the form of a ground-source heat-pump system. These pumps draw stable, latent heat from the ground through the building.
Montana Early Learning Centre
- Montana has solar panels installed, which improves their energy efficiency.
Food and beverage
- Our UCSA outlets are phasing out plastic straws.
- We offer financial incentives to BYO coffee cups and food containers at UCSA outlets. Foundry Feed is one example. We've also introduced cup libraries in conjunction with UC Sustainability, and teamed up with Again Again (handy!).
- We've introduced compostable cutlery and packaging at UCSA eateries.
- We support fair trade by working with coffee supplier Common Good Coffee.
Major entertainment events
- We're working with Total Waste to sort our waste on site into its different streams.
- We serve food and drinks in compostable, recyclable or reusable containers.
- Our bars use cans or rented Globelets. The Globelets are borrowed and then sent back to be washed and reused at other events.
- When serving water, we use either Globlets or drinking-fountain-style water trailers that do away with the need for cups.
- We're working with UC Sustainability and Eco Volunteers along with other community groups to help educate event-goers on the day and keep the site clean and sorted.
- We do a community clean up around the area to grab anything that students have dropped along the way.
- We use eco-friendly products in our cleaning processes.
- We've promoted bamboo toothbrushes at Wellness Days.
- Electronic board papers are used for UCSA board meetings, reducing reliance on paper and fossil fuels used in delivery.
- We supported students taking part in the UC Climate Strike, 27 September 2019.
- We operate a borrow-a-bike scheme, enabling students to use a more environmentally friendly mode of transport.