Medical Prescription Grant
The UCSA Medical Prescription Grant aims to provide financial assistance to students who are not able to
afford unexpected medical prescription expenses. This is for short-term emergency support only.
If your application is successful, you will be provided with a Medical Prescription Grant voucher. You can
then present the voucher to the UC Pharmacy (located in the Undercroft, Puaka-James Hight Library), and UC
Pharmacy will invoice UCSA Advocacy & Welfare for the prescription. No money is paid directly to students.
The maximum grant to any one student does not exceed $50. Students can only get one Medical
Prescription Grant per Semester.
The Medical Prescription grant is accessible to both domestic and international students.
To enquire about the Medical Prescription Grant, please contact the Advocacy and
- A student must be fully enrolled at the University of Canterbury. Being “fully enrolled”
here means that the student is enrolled in at least one course at the university, and final
grades for that course have not yet been released.
- The Grant will only be approved if an applicant proves that their financial circumstance
directly impacts their study at UC and is unexpected and temporary.
- Applicants need to demonstrate either:
- That the need for the medical prescription is unexpected and temporary;
- That the financial hardship is unexpected and temporary.
- Applicants need to present their current valid medical prescription at the point of
application of the Medical Prescription Grant.
- Students must explain their situation to a staff member from the Advocacy and Welfare Team.
- If the staff member feels the student fits the above criteria, they will ask the student to
fill out a Medical Prescription Grant application form. Students are required to be open,
honest, and forthcoming with all information required for their application.
- The staff member will contact the UC Pharmacy and explain the grant has been approved.
- The staff member will give the student a voucher, which will entitle the student up to $50
credit for medical prescriptions at the UC Pharmacy in a single transaction.
- The student will then need to visit the UC Pharmacy to collect the prescription and present
- Completed Medical Prescription grant application form
- UC Student ID Card
- Medical Prescription
Note: At the Advocacy and Welfare team’s discretion, the applicant may also be
asked to provide bank account details outlining the last ten transactions, to demonstrate that
they are in financial hardship.