COVID-19 Update: 30 March 2020
On 22 March, the Ministry of Health and the New Zealand Dental Council issued a joint statement requiring all elective dental services be suspended immediately. As a result, UCSA Dental closed on 23 March 2020, and will be shut until further notice.
Our Team will be in touch with all patients who had an appointment booked. Refunds will be issued.
For dental queries, please continue to contact UCSA Dental and we can provide some advice. Please note that the UCSA office (Haere-roa) is closed until further notice, and staff are working remotely.
What is UCSA Dental?
UCSA Dental is a subsidised dental scheme available to UC students. We are able to assist students with accessing quality, affordable, basic dental treatment. We are a routine clinic and unfortunately we are not equipped to handle dental emergencies.
What services do we provide?
Students will be allowed one check-up appointment, six individual tooth treatments, and any required hygiene appointments in an academic year.
- Check-ups (including intra oral x-rays)
- Hygiene Services
- Basic Fillings (materials used in fillings will be Equia, Fuji 2 or Composite, which are all white filling materials)
- Simple Extractions (with no sedation)
- Simple Wisdom Teeth Extractions (where possible, with no sedation)
- The clinic is not equipped with a recovery room or the necessary equipment to provide sedation, therefore surgical wisdom teeth removal can only be performed when local anaesthetic is appropriate.
- Please be aware we are not able to process ACC Claims. We are not able to perform root canals, bridges, crowns, or teeth whitening. We are not able to repair broken ortho wires or make mouth guards.
- If you have any questions about the materials used in the provision of our service, please discuss this with our dentist during your appointment.
Where is the Clinic?
8:30am - 5:00pm
4:30pm - 8:00pm
4:30pm - 8:00pm
4:30pm - 8:00pm
8:30am - 5:00pm
The clinic operates from February to November and is closed on public holidays.
Please note the Dental Coordinator's office hours differ to the clinic hours. Please see the contact information at the bottom of this page.
2020 Pricing Structure:
Check-up Appointments: $35.00* NZD
This includes intra oral x-rays within a 15 minute consultation
Hygiene Appointments: $60* NZD
This includes 30 - 40 minutes of teeth cleaning and polishing
Dental Treatment: ranges from $50 - $150* NZD
Prices are per individual tooth treatment.
*There will be an additional 2.5% credit card fee per appointment. All transactions are billed in New Zealand Dollars. Payment is always required before the appointment.
Treatment plans will be created by the UCSA dentists and based on their clinical evaluation. Treatment plans are created during your check-up appointment. The cost of the treatment will be stated at the time of the check-up appointment and you will be given a copy of your treatment plan with the quoted price. Treatment plans and costs are at the dentists' discretion and are not negotiable.
The quoted cost of dental treatment is valid for 3 months. After this time period, the cost of dental treatment is subject to change.
What to know before you book:
You must check your eligibility:
- You must be a current, fully enrolled University of Canterbury Student (We check students' enrolments).
- You are no longer enrolled as a student when you receive your grades for your courses/thesis.
- Your appointment has to be within the semester that you are enrolled in.
- We can see both part-time students and full-time students.
- We are limited to certain dental treatments so please check our services listed below before booking.
- Please note there is a maximum patient weight limit for the dental chair and this is 135 kgs.
You need your NHI Number:
You must enter your NHI number before your online booking can be completed. This is your National Health Index Number. Please attempt to locate your NHI number from your baby book, prescriptions, or family doctor before calling the UC Health Centre.
NHI numbers are required for international students. If you have not been allocated with an NHI number, please visit the UC Health Centre in person with your passport to apply for an NHI.
For all appointments, we require payment before the appointment. Payment is requested at the time of booking for check-ups appointments. For treatment and hygiene appointments, you will be emailed the payment instructions one week before your appointment. If you do not pay by the specified payment date, we will cancel your appointment. If you are not able to pay online, please contact the Dental & Welfare Coordinator for alternative options.
To book an appointment, please complete the form below
It is safe to eat after treatment but use caution. Avoid chewing on your cheeks or burning your mouth while you are still numb. If the filling material used was Equia/Fuji 2/Fuji 7 (our dentist will let you know), it is recommended to avoid sticky/chewy food for the day.
It is quite normal to have pain and sensitivity for 2-3 weeks after deep fillings. Using sensitive toothpaste (such as Colgate pro-relief) will help in this period. Outside of the 3 week time period, if pain persists, contact UCSA to arrange a follow-up appointment. Going on a flight directly after treatment can cause discomfort. Taking an anti-inflammatory such as Nurofen should help with any discomfort related to fillings. Please contact the Uni Pharmacy to talk about pain relief options (phone number is below).
The filling may feel unnatural when you bite down. You may find after a week or so, it starts to feel normal again. If it still seems too high after a week, let us know and we can try to adjust it.
To contact our Dental & Welfare Coordinator, Jessica Andronico please use the below form or call on 03 369 0451.
Just a reminder that Jess' office hours are:
- Monday - Thursday: 8:30am - 5:00pm
- Friday: 8:30am - 4:30pm
Please also remember that we are not equipped to handle dental emergencies. All other inquires will be accommodated as quickly as possible.